Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Day 2/130 - Judd Amongst Us Girls

Naomi and Wynonna Judd were today's guests. As always, it was fascinating to watch them. We spend so much time labeling others. We talk about dysfunctional families but what is dysfunction. Sometimes I think dysfunction and family may be synonymous. I don't know any perfect families. The Cosbys, Ozzie and Harriet, and the Bradys don't exist in real life. Love is not about perfection, it's about accepting and loving each other through our imperfections.

I love my family and think I have been extraordinarily blessed. We have bumps, blemishes, scars and secrets just like every body else. But through it all there is an unconditional love that prevails and supercedes the hurt, anger, disappointment, worry, and mistakes that we are prone to experience. There is an unspeakable bond between single parents (male or female) that can only be understood by another who's walked in our shoes. I identify with Naomi because it's hard to find a balance between strong and overbearing, firm and unyielding, tough and defensive.

I know I've made mistakes but all I can do is pray that my children can understand that I did the best I could with what I knew. I tell them that as parents sometimes our best lessons are what not to do with their own children. I pray they don't repeat my mistakes, rather, I hope they learn from them and strive to be not only better parents but better people.

Now that I'm older and wiser I would do many things differently, unfortunately, I would also be less energetic, tolerant and patient. It's good I had them young.  Children and menopause are not a good mix.

I pray each generation in my family gets stronger, smarter, and more secure. They have to find and define their own traditions and learn to nurture their own relationships. I have tried to be an inspiration to my children by working hard, setting goals, and loving life. As I said yesterday, I believe we owe God rent for the space we occupy and my kids are no different. I only pray they will live up to the gifts, wisdom and talents the Lord has blessed them with so they can realize their greatness and give back. However, I'm still a mom, so I will continue to fuss and push to keep them moving in the right direction while loving them through it. I feel very blessed at this moment because there is a very special man who has impacted my life and is keeping me grounded while letting me fly at the same time. Why is it so much easier to give love when we feel loved?  Anyway, I'm very thankful.
Well that's it for tonight, see you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment